Yesterday and today I worked on the Scrappy Challenge 2014 February block from Patchwork Times. I made some snowman blocks from some fabric from my mother-in-law. I have three blocks made and nine more to go with the units all sewn and ready to put into nine-patch blocks. I think I’ll end up making two wall hangings, three blocks wide and two blocks long, as Christmas gifts. I have sashing and binding fabric picked out. I’ll try to get the rest of the blocks sewn next week. Here are the snowman blocks on the left side of the design wall. The cat block on the right is for the Sawtooth Cats quilt (only one block done! Oh no!) and the block underneath it is the same February block for Scrappy Challenge. That block will be made into a potholder.
My project for this weekend is to start cleaning up my mom’s sewing machine. I brought it home this past summer when I visited my dad. I asked him if I could have it and he said “Get it out of here!” He wants to clear out the “clutter” around his place. Here is her Singer 201-2:
My husband replaced the frayed cord after we got home and it runs fine. It’s just a bit dirty from being in the desert and not being used for decades. My first step is to clean up the cover. It has old gold/brown contact paper on it. I’m sure my mom just wanted to cover the ugly brown of the machine cover, but the sticky residue it’s left behind is pretty nasty. Here’s the cover before I started taking off the contact paper:
I’m still working on it and I’ll try to clean it up this weekend. If I can clean it sufficiently I’ll leave it as is. If it doesn’t clean up well I’ll probably figure out something with which to cover it. I was thinking possibly using some old vintage clothing patterns and Mod Podge to decoupage it. Once I get this cleaned up, I’ll get the machine cleaned out and actually use it for piecing. We’ll see how it goes.
I hope you all have a safe and warm weekend!