Pages

Friday, January 24, 2014

It's Friday!

I didn’t get a lot accomplished in the sewing room this week. I had hoped to put borders on the baby quilt that is on my design wall, but it has just been too cold here (just like everywhere else!) to hang out in the basement and sew. I was out running my errands this morning in single digit temperatures, and it’s just a bit much for this Southern California girl! It looks like next week is going to be more of the same here, so I have been contemplating bringing the sewing machine upstairs to the dining room and taking over the table. We’ll see.  


I did brave the temps (and turned on my little space heater) and worked on Bonnie Hunter’s Celtic Solstice yesterday. I did a little bit of each step as they were released, and when I saw the finished quilt I was really glad I went ahead and started this one. I think it is lovely. So, I need to go back to each step and complete all the piecing. Yesterday I finished the blue/orange triangle units from Part 1. I still need to trim some down and remove the paper (I’m doing the paper piecing method), and I also need to do more of the blue/neutral units. Since the blue/orange units make up the outer border of the quilt, my hope is to finish trimming the blue/orange units and sewing them together this weekend. Then I’ll work on finishing the blue/neutral units. Here’s where I left it yesterday:



Since it has been so cold, I’ve been spending quite a bit of time upstairs knitting. I started a pullover sweater last winter and had problems with my hands (carpel tunnel from my days as a secretary), so I put it up. I picked it up again this winter and things are going much better with my hands, so I’m hoping to get it finished in time to actually wear it this winter! I’m over halfway done, then I’ll need to knit the neck. It’s a cowl neck-ish thing, but I think I will just make a shorter mock turtleneck. I’ll probably work on that more this afternoon. Here’s where I’m at with the sweater:



I’ll probably spend some quality time with the cat bundled up on the couch this afternoon too. I have many, many books to read. I have three from the library, plus three more e-books from the library on my Kindle. I also started re-reading The Tightwad Gazette this past weekend. Right now on my Kindle I have Silence in Hanover Close (Anne Perry), Zealot (Reza Aslan), and Keepsake Crimes (Laura Childs). I’ve read all the Anne Perry books with Thomas & Charlotte Pitt already, but it’s been a while and I do enjoy them. I’m also reading Bones of a Feather (Carolyn Haines) and The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane (Katherine Howe). Today I picked up Donna Andrews’ new book Duck the Halls. All of these should be pretty fast reads for me, except Zealot, and I’ve never read Katherine Howe’s books so I don’t know how quickly that will go. I usually can get through books pretty quickly, so if I get bogged down I rarely have patience to finish it. We’ll see what happens.

I hope you all stay warm and have a wonderful weekend!


1 comment:

  1. I hope you get it finished, but I really don't want any more cold here! I have over an inch of snow on my table top on the deck, and that's more than enough for me!

    ReplyDelete